The best place to catch perch is in any hiding place. Perch love to hang out under trees, in reeds or in amongst roots. Anywhere the can lay in wait for the fry. On colder days they will be in deeper water and warmer day the roam around more in the shallows. If you find a spot it will hold more than one fish as perch tend to hunt in packs. Look out for the surface breaking with fish trying to escape.
As with most fish, dawn and dusk are best. Late on a Summer day is a good time but perch are not that fussy and will strike any time of day.
Lobworm is great for perch and will be hit as soon as it drops in the water. Under a float is good but my favourite is a light lead and a quiver tip.
Prawns and small dead baits are also a good bait, especially on still waters. It always worth chucking in a a bit of ground bait in the area to draw in the small fish.
The best in my opinion is small lures. It always results in bigger fish and adds to the excitement, as you can often see the strike.
…. tight lines- FISHIN ADDICT
The sun is out, the fish are in shore… grab your rod and get out there. Here are my top tips to catching a sea bass.
- GO LIGHT: Use light tackle, you will be able to feel the lure working much more effectively. Also means you can cover more ground and move easily.
- WATCH THE WATER: watch bursts of action from bait fish breaking the surface or seagulls diving on the bait fish.
- WHAT TO CATCH: If there are Mackerel, Whitebait and Gars about then you can be sure that the Bass are not far behind.
- STRUCTURES: Bass like to hunt in beach surf, so you do not need to cast far. They also like to hang around structures and ambush their Prey. Try fishing rocky marks, piers and groins for Bass using a variety of lures.
- CHECK OUT YOUR MARK: Check out the areas you intend to fish on really low tides, to spot potential fish holding features such as gullies or ambush points for bass.
- REEL SPEED: Vary your retrieve rates when lure fishing, also change the action when twitching the rod tip.
- LURE TYPE: Match the lure/spinner to what the main bait of the area – sand eel, mackerel and red heads are all round winners.
…. tight lines FISHIN ADDICT